Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Big Brave Son

Yesterday after school Michael Jr was so proud to give me his progress report. He has brought his grades up this trimester. He is getting A's on his tests and is turning in all his homework actually understanding what he did ( well 90% of the time) and he was just beaming when I picked him up. He was proud of himself and I love that.
As we left his school to go pick up his sister at the Jr High we saw his friend Austin at the park. I told Michael we would pick up Aimee and if Austin was still there we would stop for a little bit so they could play (and then I could chit chat with Bridget a little too). We got Aimsters and her friend from school and went back to the park to see if his friend was still there. Yep he was there, so we stopped.
I started talking with Bridget and her mom while the munchkins had some fun time together. All of a sudden Michael Jr started crying. I know that was a pain cry to. It reminded me of when he has fallen and broken something. He came over holding his arm. My first thought was I hope I have enough diapers for the emergency room. I took a mental breath knowing that if I react wrong he is going to freak out. I look at his arm, he still can't stop crying, Austin looks worried. He has 4 stingers just above his elbow! Poor baby. I took them out before he could really do anything but try and catch his breath. Then he showed me his wrist on the other arm. He had another stinger! It actually might have been 2 more but the other one did not make it all the way in only half way. My poor son had fallen into a bunch of yellow jackets! They were really starting to swell so we told our friends bye, went and dropped off Aimee's friend and ran home for some ice, Benedryl and Motrin. He is so brave.
I know how bad that must have hurt and he was still trying to be the man last night and say it did not hurt.
This morning he could not even move his arm very well because it was still swollen. He knew that the state writing test was this morning so he got himself ready, took some more pain medication and went to school. 10 minutes later school called because he hurt to bad to be there. I had already talked with the school nurse and his teacher about what had happened before school had started. We all think that he is so brave to have even tried to go to school. His teacher was impressed that he had enough drive to try and take that test even though he really did not feel up to it.
So do I. My big brave son, I am so proud of you. I wish I could make it not hurt. Thank God that you are not allergic to them, but the pain is just terrible too. You are one brave boy. I think I will bring you some more ice now, maybe make you some brownies to? Today you can relax with the TV and heal. Ouch.

No comments: