Monday, March 24, 2008

Thump in the night

A little over a week ago, I was sending the kids to bed and we heard a screeching of tires outside. We all went to the front window to see why a car was stopping so fast, yeah we were expecting ANOTHER car crash. Hey it was a friday night about 9:30. Why else all the commotion? We looked outside and saw a dog standing frozen in the street staring at the headlights coming right at her! OH NO DOGGIE MOVE! THUMP, THUMP. Oh my gosh. That truck just hit her. Oh my gosh. Poor dog, out there in the middle of the road. The kids are freaking out. Who can blame them? They just saw the worst thing.

I've got to get Michael, get away from the window so I can call animal control to come pick up the dog. Oh Lord, please tell me I don't here that big lifted truck speeding up! THUMP. THUMP. Oh my gosh. Great now my kids will definitely have nightmares. What kind of person hits a dead dog on purpose? I told the kids to stay in the house and I will go out and check on the dog. How horrible. I have no idea what I thought I was going to do, but I figured that I could tell the kids that she was out of her pain and with God.

So I walk out there just as another guy runs out to pull her out of the street and I told him " I am sorry about your dog." The guy says "She's not mine. I just couldn't leave her there. Check it out, she is still breathing." Holy Cow! Now what? I can't go back to the kids and tell them there is a bleeding dog out there, but we will just leave her there to die alone, in the dark, on a busy street because it is bedtime and mommy is really tired. So to make the story shorter, had the guy put the dog in the SUV and took her to the animal hospital. There they told me that she had no feeling in her legs but they would make sure that she was not in any pain. Thank Goodness. Now I can tell the kids that she will be ok. Sort of.

The kids go to bed feeling better and we have an 8am soccer game the next day. So off to bed my little munchkins. The sun was up and so were the kidos. All of them asking how was the dog. Don't know and get ready to go! Hurry up! We are going to be late, again.

To make them feel better I called the animal hospital to check on the dog. You won't believe this. She was just fine. Just a gash over her eye that they sewed up. No broken bones. No internal injuries. Nothing wrong. They were going to send her to the humane societies vet hospital for more x-rays since she had been hit by 2 trucks. Absolutely amazing.
I told the kids who start in with the "Can we have her? Please?" I had to tell them that she probably belonged to someone who was looking for her right now. The pound was the best place for her. Her family would come and get her soon. They were crushed.

Yes sucker mom that I am, I went to the pound and checked on her to be sure that she was ok. Check out this shot of her. She really did make it.
The story continues...

Now we know she is okay and call the pound to see if she has been picked up by her family yet. Nope. nobody has even asked about her. So after all the praying my little ones have done, all the worry they have been through, how am I going to tell them that we saved her so that we can have her put down by the pound? Then just before she was scheduled to be terminated it was the mighty munchkins to the rescue. No owner? No problem. She can be a munchkin too.

Meet our new dog Lucky. Happy Easter from Mom & Dad. (He is not all that thrilled about this yet) But...


They are really happy about it. We love you Daddy.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Ok... I'm not a huge dog love but that story had me tearing up! Lucky is a perfect name she has no idea how lucky she is to be in your family. cute story
im passing this story on to my sister the dog groomer she will love it:)